Friday, March 27, 2009

How can I find out what I am?

I know I'm african american but I want to know what generation I am and what else I may have in me like indian or something and I need links to websites that may help me and I want a website that I don't have to pay for. Please don't give me a link to www.ancestry.com because I have tried it before.



My mother has a degree in genealogy. She spent 13 years looking up our family. My best advice to you, being African American, is to start birth and death records ( your public library, or census beurea ) to find out where each person was born. Start with your parents and work your way back. Only do one side at a time. As you dig farther back some records may not be available, depending on how far you go. Pay attention to name changes, weddings, births, etc. That should get you started. Being African American, it will get harder the farther back you go. Use surname websites (last name) to see the history of the family name as a whole. Not individual people. Please ask your librarian for help.




THe first thing you need to do is ask your relatives, and then if that didn't/doesn't help, you can go to google and type in the origin of your last name or whatever little peice of info. you get from family.




Ask family members on both sides or anyone that knows anything about you. Start with that.




Ask your parents. THEY should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment